Set top boxes seem to get more and more popular these days, and it is no wonder since folks have been conditioned to get things instantly as well as on-demand, leading to an ever increasing pace in our lifestyle which has side effects such as unwanted stress as well as being in a rush all the time. Well, Western Digital surely doesn’t help slow down your life, as it introduces its WD TV Live HD media player that boasts network capability and Full HD 1080p resolution support, making it the first network media player that is compatible with Windows 7 in the market. The WD TV Live HD media player is pretty easy to use, as virtually anyone is able to play media stored on USB and network drives, through any PC on the home network, alongside content from popular websites, all in the comfort of your living room and on the biggest screen in your home. Makes perfect sense to upgrade that TV now, eh?
With the help of Windows 7 Play To feature, users are able to initiate and control the streaming of video, music or photos to the WD TV Live HD media player and home entertainment systems using just about any Windows 7-based PC on their network. As long as your media file is compatible as well as accessible from the PC, you can play it straight to the WD TV Live just by right clicking on the file name in the folder or directly from within Windows Media Player 12 while selecting WD TV Live HD media player as the playback device of choice. Of course, current WD TV Live owners will need to make sure their device is updated to the latest firmware before they are able to take advantage of the Windows 7 Play To feature.
Among the features that are available in the Windows 7-compatible WD TV Live HD media player include :-
- Full-HD 1080p video playback and navigation with the included remote control and crisp, animated navigation menus
- Play a wide variety of file formats including support for the most popular file formats with no need to spend time transcoding
- Play videos, music and photos from the Internet on your big screen TV and discover new music with Pandora Internet radio or listen to thousands of radio stations via Live365 Internet radio
- Ethernet port for wired or WiFi connection to access files anywhere on the network to play movies, music, and photos from any PC or drive on a home network
- Turns a USB drive into an HD media player and plays content from most popular USB drives, and digital cameras, camcorders, and portable media players that can be recognized as mass storage devices
- Unlimited media collection, just add more USB drives for more space
- Two USB ports for seamless media playback from multiple USB drives and ability to access them simultaneously while a media library feature collects the content on all the drives into one list sorted by media type
- Transfer files by copying, moving or deleting files stored on a USB drive, a network drive, a camcorder, or a camera to the attached USB drive using the on-screen menus
- Picture Transfer Protocol support to show photos and movies directly from digital camera or video camera and/or any digital imaging device that supports Picture
- Transfer Protocol
- Advanced navigation options including thumbnail and list views, media library and search
- Photo viewing to create custom slide shows, zoom and pan and search
- Movie viewing with fast-forward, rewind, pause, zoom and pan, view subtitles, and search
- Music playback with fast-forward, rewind, pause, shuffle, repeat and search
- File copying between USB devices
- HDMI 1.3 port, composite video and component video output for the highest quality HDTV or home theater
- SPDIF digital output that sends digital signals to your AV receiver for the best surround sound experience
- Ultra-compact design to fit easily into a home entertainment center
Interested? The WD TV Live HD media player will retail for $149.99 with a 1-year limited warranty.