Welcome to the iPhone® 5 and Much More
Credit: CNET/James Martin
In front of the invite only audience and with the world waiting, Apple CEO Tim Cook just hosted Apple’s September 12 event at the Yerba Buena Center for the Performing Arts in San Francisco. Included in the announcements were the launch of the iPhone 5, debut of the new iPod® Nano and iPod Touch and feature demonstrations of iOS6 and the new iTunes. Complete details on each topic are forthcoming, but the short of it is:
- iPhone 5: 20% lighter, thinner form factor, 326ppi, increase in screen size to 4”, 1136 x 640 resolution, faster A6 processor, 4G LTE support, iOS6, iSight 8MP camera with built in panoramic mode, new and smaller connector (“Lightening”), black with slate or white with brushed aluminum options, $199 (16GB) or $199 (32GB) or $399 (64GB) with 2 year contract. No prices announced without contract. Pre-orders being taken in US, Canada, UK, France, Germany, Australia, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore on September 14 with shipping beginning September 21.
- iOS6: As announced in June, will be available beginning September 19 for existing devices. iOS6 comes standard with the iPhone 5 and iPod Touc G7. See our review of the announcement for more details http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20120612/apples-ios-6-previewed-receives-maps/ for a teaser of iOS6.
- iPod Touch: 5th generation, thinnest and lightest ever, retina display technology, 4” screen, A5 processor, iSight 5MP camera with built-in panorama mode, autofocus and LED flash. Two versions available in October – 32GB for $299 and 64GB for $399
- iPod Nano: 7th generation, completely redesigned, just 5.4mm thin (40% thinner than previous), Easy-to-use controls that are big and tactile, touch controls on screen and Bluetooth capability. Available in October for $149 (16GB).
- iTunes: All stores will be redesigned for iOS users for easier access, tap on charts to see top songs, quicker updates as you scroll and easier integration with Facebook likes. It becomes available with iOS6 update.
- Desktop iTunes: Major upgrades including “in the store” to see top songs and albums along with recommendations, easier rearranging of upcoming songs with “Up Next”, queue up a song and it will resume with your playlist, mini player offers rollover controls, iCloud built in so library shared with all iOS devices.
Stay tuned to Coolest Gadgets for more complete details on each product announcement.
Thanks to Macworld and TheVerge for their stellar blogs straight from the announcements.