Netgear has quartet of new ProSafe Plus Switch models
Netgear has expanded their ProSafe Plus Switch family with four more models in order to cater for growing businesses with growing network needs, where all of the new ProSafe Plus Switches will offer built-in cable test support, QoS prioritization for voice & video traffic and VLAN configuration for network segmentation, and even more impressively, doing all of this within 10% of the cost of an unmanaged switch. Those who are in management positions will be able shortlist this as one of the main methods of cutting costs while running a business, that’s for sure.
What do we have in the whole family? Well, there is the eight-port desktop GS108E, the 16-port desktop GS116E and the rack-mounted 24-port JGS524E which all offer Gigabit Ethernet. The eight-port desktop GS108PE will be the first in the ProSafe Plus Switch family that delivers Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) for supporting devices including IP phones, wireless access points, security cameras and remote switches – all without having to have separate electric lines providing the necessary juice. Other powerful features in the new ProSafe Plus Switches offerings include :-
- Traffic monitoring and control through a non-technical graphically based software utility
- Quality of Service (QoS) to prioritize traffic by port or by type of data
- Detection of cable loops to prevent broadcast storms, eliminating the need for network diagnostic tools that often cost hundreds of dollars
- Automatic protection against Denial-of-Service (DoS) attacks
- Virtual Local Area Network (VLAN) support for separating traffic, such as offering a guest WiFi network that is walled off from the corporate network
- Simple set-up, along with plug-and-play connectivity
- Fan-less design for quiet operation, allowing placement in open work areas
Boasting the company’s very own Netgear Green design, it is touted to reduce power consumption by as much as 70% in comparison to unmanaged switches, with auto power-down of unused ports and automatic cable-length detection thrown into the mix that further helps reduce power for cable runs under 10 meters. You also need not fret should something go awry – Netgear offers full 24/7 technical support which connects customers directly to experienced switching experts. Now for the pricing – the GS108E will retail for $85 while the GS108PE with four PoE ports start from $175 onwards. As for the GS116E, it begins from $196 with the JGS524E starting at $289 as they arrive at the end of this month.