Kingston announces SSDNow V100 solid state drive
Kingston wants to boost its solid state drive credentials with the SSDNow V100 which hails from the SSDNow V Series family of solid state drives (SSD). Targeting mainstream consumers, the Kingston V100 SSD is touted to offer the best performance for your buck, being the most cost-effective upgrade path for desktops and notebooks without having to go through the hassle of a total system replacement. Just what kind of performance figures can we wax lyrical about? Well, you can check it out in the extended post if you want to kill the cat.
The V100 is an expansion of the V Series line, bringing in another 256GB capacity drive. Of course, if you feel that your budget cannot fit 256GB worth of storage space, there are always smaller alternatives in the form of 64GB and 128GB capacities. Kingston’s new V100 also comes with Windows 7 TRIM support, featuring an optimized controller and advanced NAND Flash technology that will increase read and write performance. Folks who are looking forward to extending the life cycle of their current system will be able to see that installation of the V100 will result in quicker bootup and application load times, not to mention a faster overall user experience with the new V100.
The SSDNow V100 drives will ship as either a stand-alone unit or as an upgrade bundle kit. If you opt for the desktop bundle kit, that will include the SSD, cloning software, cables (SATA data and power), and 3.5-inch″ hard-drive mounting brackets and hardware. As for the notebook bundle, it will include the SSD, cloning software and a 2.5″-inch external enclosure that lets the replaced hard drive to be used as additional storage – gotta love the idea of recycling, eh? Certainly doesn’t put anything to waste. All purchases will come with a three-year warranty and round-the-clock live technical support. Other features and specifications of the Kingston SSDNow V100 include :-
- Interface: SATA 1.5Gb/sec. & 3.0Gb/sec.
- Sequential Speed: up to 250MB/sec. read; up to 230MB/sec for 128GB & 256GB, up to 145MB.sec. for 64GB write
- Silent: runs silent and cool with no moving parts
- Reliable: less likely to fail than a standard hard drive
- Shock-Resistant: no moving mechanical parts so the SSD handles rougher conditions
- Supports S.M.A.R.T.: Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology
- Supports TRIM: ensures maximum performance on compatible operating systems
- Power Specs: Active 6.4W (TYP) / Sleep 1.0W (TYP)
- Storage Temperatures: -40 degrees C to 85 degrees C
- Operating Temperatures: 0 degrees C to 70 degrees C
- Weight: 114.76g (stand-alone unit); 302.91g (notebook bundle); 328.40g (desktop bundle)
- Vibration Operating: 2.17G (7-800Hz)
- Vibration Non-operating: 20G (10-2000Hz)
- Life Expectancy: 1 million hours MTBF