AMD announces ATI Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition graphics card
AMD is back with a bang, and this time round they are offering the awesome ATI Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition graphics card which is the bees knees when it comes to performance. Of course, being a hardcore gamer and all, chances are you are always on the lookout for the latest and greatest just to get that added it of edge over your opponents (or computer AI). Well, the ATI Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition certainly doesn’t look as though it will disappoint on paper – not when it is equipped with 2GB of GDDR5 memory, and boasts the capability of rendering over 1 billion pixels per second in today’s titles – currently being the only graphics card in the market to do so at the moment. Not only that, another interesting aspect would be its ability to send video across six displays, enabling up to 12 times more resolution than 1080p HD. Now how about that for performance?
Before the ATI Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition rolled out, you required two (or even three in some cases) graphcis cards to simultaneously drive six independent computer monitors at and beyond 1080p HD resolutions. With the ATI Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition, all of that performance is delivered on a single graphics card, further reducing the cost of ownership for a six-screen display while making sure you have the option of setting up hundreds of possible multi-monitor configurations without missing a beat. Not only that, you can take advantage of a well-developed ecosystem around ATI Eyefinity technology, where this includes broad support by the game development community. Latest updates in the ATI Catalyst graphics driver software will continue to see improvements in the ATI Eyefinity experience by periodically enabling new features.
Some of the features found on the new ATI Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition include :-
- 2GB of GDDR5 memory to enable high frame rates and image quality settings in the latest DirectX 11 games in three- and six-display gaming setups.
- Full display flexibility right out of the box, with the inclusion of five adaptors4: two mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adapters, two passive mini DisplayPort to DVI dongles, and one passive mini DisplayPort to HDMI dongle.
- Support for 3×2 display configuration with new configurations supported in upcoming ATI Catalyst software updates.
- Broad support for software developers worldwide including Bioware, Codemasters, EA, and Turbine who have adopted ATI Eyefinity multi-display technology in the latest DirectX 11 games such as DiRT 2 from Codemasters and Battlefield Bad Company 2 from EA DICE.
- The ability to use ATI CrossFireX multi-GPU technology in conjunction with ATI Eyefinity multi-display capabilities as released in ATI Catalyst graphics drivers version 10.2, enabling increased gaming performance when driving high-resolution ATI Eyefinity display groups.
- ATI Eyefinity technology enhancements were made available in ATI Catalyst graphics update version 10.3, including bezel compensation, which helps simulate a more integrated display surface by adjusting for display bezels.
It is going to be expensive from the get go, but think of the performance enhancements that you get in return!