A-25 XL2 brings a legend back to life
Way back in 1969, the original A-25 was unleashed to the unsuspecting world by Dynaco, and the next decade that followed the A-25’s release made it one of the most popular high-end speakers to date, moving over one million units. It will be hard pressed to follow up on the legendary success of the product (partly due to the lack of choice back then which also played a role, we believe), but the folks at Annandale do intend to rekindle the speaker’s past success with the A-25 XL2 which now comes in natural maple, 40 years later.
Before we move on any further, let us have a show of hands here. How many of you out there actually purchase sepakers that come with a trial period? If you happen to pick up a pair of the new A-25 XL2 loudspeaker system, then that would certainly qualify it, boasting a 30 day in-home trial, featuring a design, componentry and value that simply cannot be found in any of its competitors at a similar price range – at least that’s what Annandale claims. With the month long in-home trial offer, you are able to try the A-25’s in the comfort of your own homes with your own equipment. Just like its predecessor, the A-25 XL2 is a two-way system which is based upon a powerful 10” European-made woofer that has been custom designed to handle both the bass and mid-range frequencies. You get 250% more radiating area than the typical 6 1/2” unit with the A-25 XL2’s woofer.
Of course, something as beautiful as this won’t come cheap – and the A-25 XL2 will retail for $2,499 a pair, coming in beautifully finished real American Maple veneer with matching speaker stands that are sold separately at $350 per pair. Among the other specifications include :-
- Form Factor: Stand Mounted 2 way, passive loudspeaker
- Frequency Response: (+-3db): 58 Hz – 20 kHz
- Bass Extension Anechoic: (-10db) 38HZ
- Dimensions: 21” H x 12.5” W x 10.5” D (without stand)
- System Product Weight: 30 lbs. each
- Enclosure Type: Aperiodic, critically damped, 15-ply Baltic Birch finished in natural maple
- Woofer: SEAS 10” Cast Frame, Classic paper cone with matching natural rubber surround
- Tweeter: SEAS 1” Soft Dome, with integral resonance chamber
- Crossover Frequency: 2.0 kHz, 4th order acoustic
- Audio Input: Gold plated 5-way binding posts