Harman Kardon offers first Blu-ray Player
Harman Kardon has finally made their mark in the world of High Definition playback by offering the first Blu-ray Disc media player from their stables, aptly known as the Harman Kardon BDP 1. It would be interesting to see how this audio expert that has a long line of respectable products where the sound industry is concerned will tackle the video segment of Blu-ray with the BDP 1, so let us delve deeper into the system specifications and functions supported right after the jump.
The Harman Kardon BDP 1 will be able to let users enjoy features found in the next generation of Blu-ray discs as it features BD Live support, giving access to a whole new world of interactive content for those who have built up a sizeable collection of Blu-ray disc movies over the past couple of years. Some of the benefits of BD Live include the ability to access games, ringtones and other specialized content straight from the BDP 1 itself. Not only that, Harman Kardon realizes just how important it is to maintain a sleek profile on the outside as well, hence resulting in an elegant design for the BDP 1 that will definitely look in place right smack in the middle of your living room as it sits alongside other high-definition displays and audio/video receivers.
Another plus point of the BDP 1 is its ability to handle standard DVDs, upconverting them to 1080p through an HDMI connection, making sure your extensive DVD collection that you’ve carefully built over the years will be able to be enjoyed in greater clarity and higher resolution than ever before. It also does not just handle movie playback but can also display JPEG images and MP3 audio files directly from discs and USB memory sticks for greater versatility. Other system specifications include :-
- Disc formats: Blu-Ray Disc media, including BD-R/RE, BD-Live and BonusView, DVD/DVD+R/DVD-RW, CD/CD-RW, MP3 or JPEG files on disc
- Audio formats: LPCM, MP3, Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD Master Audio and WMA
- RJ-45 connection for Internet access
- IR-remote in/out jacks for system integration
- HDMI output (V.1.3a with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD bitstreams and high-resolution video)
- Front-panel USB jack for additional BD-Live memory or MP3 or JPEG file playback
- Optical and coaxial digital audio outputs
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 66mm x 440mm x 352mm
- Weight: 3.7kg
Harman Kardon has priced their BDP 1 at $499 when it hits retail stores this month.