Realtek has new reference designs
Realtek Semiconductor Corp. from Taiwan has just rolled out a fair number of new reference designs that boast Wireless USB Host and Wireless USB Docking Station functionality. This development is very much welcome, as it enables PC OEMs to have the industry’s widest portfolio of complete end-to-end single-vendor solutions for wirelessly connected docking stations. These reference designs will greatly speed up the development process while enabling customers to roll out solutions to the market in a swift and decisive manner. To know more about the Wireless USB Docking Stations, head on after the jump for an excerpt from the press release.
Wireless USB Docking Stations extend the convenient docking station concept by adding wireless functionality, providing the ideal way to manage USB peripherals, video & audio, and Ethernet through a single unit. Wireless operation untethers the office environment user, allowing a notebook PC to be placed anywhere on the desk or in the office, and further simplifies the user experience with automatic connection and disconnection. With full support for multimedia functionality, wirelessly connected docking stations enhance the home entertainment center experience, adding convenience and eliminating clutter.
Those rocking with notebooks have a trio of new reference designs to choose from, based on a couple of Realtek Wireless USB host controllers:
- RTU7305 Wireless Host Controller Interface (WHCI) host controller, certified by USB-IF, plus RTU7012 dual-band WiMedia ultra-wideband physical layer (PHY) chip, in single-sided Half-MiniCard form factor
- RTU7305 plus RTU7012 in ExpressCard form factor
- RTU7300 Host Wire Adapter (HWA), certified by USB-IF, plus RTU7012 in USB Dongle form factor
As for the Wireless USB Docking Station, a reference design was announced based on the dual-band capable, USB-IF certified single-chip Realtek RTU7105. Among the features of the Wireless USB Docking Station are :-
- VGA or DVI ports, 4 USB 2.0 ports, Ethernet 10/100 port, Microphone In and Stereo Out ports
- Resolutions supported: up to UXGA (1600×1200 pixels) or WSXGA+ (1680×1050 pixels)
- 2.1 stereo speaker compatible – Dolby Pro Logic support
- 10/100Mbps Dual Speed Ethernet